Monday, September 14, 2015

Running To Stand Still

The Background

I have been running consistently for the last month and a half !!! Every alternate evening. Started with 20 minutes and 2.33 km. As of now it stands at 3 km in 23.30 minute. Not such a big deal, you might say. And I agree. What is remarkable about this feat, to me, is I have been totally injury free during this period. For me that's a record of sorts. I cannot remember running so consistently for such a long time without any injury (since my college days).

The first time I tried running after college - about 7/8 years ago, when I had just quit smoking and decided to manage my diabetes more aggressively - within a few days I came down with serious injury in my knees that kept me off running for several months.

I realised wearing good running shoes with proper cushioning and fit was important to stay injury free. This is just as important as supple and strong leg muscles, not to speak of correct form and not trying to over exert yourself. If you have lots of strength in your legs, you could run with anything on like we used to in school or college. But we are not talking about super fit athletes here.

In 2010 I got two pairs of Asics almost simultaneously. One from England and another from Canada (both made in Vietnam though). The English Asics (I don't remember the exact model name) was size Euro 42.5 or UK 8, which I then thought was my correct size. I ran wearing it and the first day was the last day of my run for quite a few months, as once again I got seriously injured.

A few weeks after this the Canadian Asics came. This was Euro 42 or UK/Indian 7.5, because size 42.5 wasn't available in Toronto at that time. After wearing it I realised, for the first time in life, that my actual perfect fit is size 7.5. This pair of red Asics (I think it is model GT 2140) was a really good pair. In terms of fit and cushioning nothing could have been better. It was far superior to the English Asics, which is good but not meant for people like us with injury prone legs.

I kept this shoe for my on and off experiments with running or skipping etc. I followed a running programme and ended up running for half an hour. That was a big confidence booster for me back then. For, when I started I could barely run for one minute. I can't remember why I stopped running. Possibly out of sheer boredom of doing the same thing over and over again. I remember, I used to go round the lake in half an hour. I have measured the distance now. It is 2.6 km, which I run at 20 minutes now. 

However, 5 years is a long time for a pair of shoes, even if you have not been running every day in them. The pasting at the front had gone off once which was fixed by Mr Mochi. But I still love them as these are the only running shoes that I have (or had till September 13, 2015).

After running consistently for more than a month I realised that I would need a new pair of running shoes very soon. These Asics are not very durable. They have lasted for such a long time because I have not really put them to good use. They are already getting bald in patches at the bottom and the ankle collar will soon give way.

I started my search for a new pair in right earnest. We now have some great brand stores in India where good international quality running shoes are available. There are quite a few online stores also that sell them. But I soon realised that no one keeps size 7.5 here in India. Not Nike. Not Adidas. Not Asics. I somehow made up my mind that I have to wear size 8 but then I thought let me try running in my English Asics once before buying size 8.

I ran for one night last week wearing this pair that I had been wearing only with jeans for around town outings. Very soon I realised while size 8 is not really a serious issue, I risk injury due to bad cushioning. In fact that evening I had some pain in the Achilles' tendon and my calves got stiff. It was serious enough for me not to consider exercise at home the next day and see youtube videos for message techniques. Of course the next evening I ran/walked 3km but that's only because I am in a much better physical shape. A few years ago I would have come down with some serious injury.

The most important learning for me from this episode was that I wouldn't mind size 8, there is some play in the forefoot area but that's manageable. What is not acceptable is bad cushioning. I have still not reached that level of fitness where I can just about wear anything and run 5K.

So I decided to check out the Asics at Reliance Footprint in Axis Mall - a good 20 km plus from home.

The Gel Nimbus 16
At the Reliance store I checked out two different models. The Gel Nimbus 16 and Gel Cumulous 16, which is cheaper by Rs 2000. The Cumulous had a softer feel but the toe region was pretty roomy. Blame it on size 8. In terms of fit it was quite like my English Asics. But its cushioning is definitely better. 

The Gel Nimbus, in comparison, felt a little stiffer. But ultimately I chose to take it as it turned out to be narrow at the front which reduced the forefoot play. I was a little concerned about the stiff feel under my feet. Not quite an "on top of nimbus cloud" feeling. But the guy at the store insisted on the Nimbus for its narrower fit. I took the black and orange colour combination - which is the same as my KTM bike :-)  Of course it was the only option I think.

Back home I felt really eager to try the new pair out. So out I went with them and ran my first 3K on a hot and sultry evening. I ran it at 23 minutes and some seconds, which is the best so far. For a more detailed analysis of the run click here . Till that evening I had run two 3Ks but mixed it with a short walk of around 200 meters after 2K. I would take a little more than 25 minutes to do this. But with the new pair I ran all of 3 kilometers and in a little over 23 minutes. The most important part of this run was I shaved off a straight 1 minute from my second kilometer. 

Coming back to the shoe, it fitted me perfectly. There is no complaint whatsoever in terms of forefoot play. The fit of this particular size 8 (Euro 42.5) is quite different from the English Asics (the blue ones in the picture above) or even the fit of the Cumulous of the same size. Although there is space beyond my toes, I cannot move my toes around. Which suits me perfectly well. 

The cushion feeling under my feet improved after a kilometer or so. I guess that was all the break-in that it needed. It gave a good firm yet bouncy feel. I know it is a ridiculous thing to say but that is how I felt. I do not see myself getting injured in the legs due to bad shoes, if I am wearing these.

As I gather more kilometers on this model I should be able to give better opinion on it, particularly its longevity. As of now, I quite like the feel. The sock liner has a premium feel to it. The lace is fairly long.

The Gel Nimbus 16 is a slightly dated model. Asics has already launched the 17th edition. But Reliance sold me the 16 at a price that is over Rs 2K more than the price you pay on Jabong. But then I wouldn't be able to wear and check out the fit if I was buying online. Also, most online reviewers prefer the 16 over 17. So, I am pretty happy with these now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment